Venafi, Inc., inventor of systems management for encryption, today ships Venafi™ Encryption Director™ V.1, a comprehensive, enterprise-wide encryption management platform that centralizes and automates the management of encryption assets (keys, certificates and application configurations) throughout the IT infrastructure, across diverse encryption systems, operating environments and applications. Built on an extensible architecture that leverages the core policy engine and audit instrumentation delivered in the V.0 release, Director helps organizations improve critical system uptime, operational efficiency, data security and regulatory compliance.
The ever-expanding use of—and dependence on—encryption in response to external mandates such as government and industry regulations and the adoption of internal best practices has created widespread encryption silos, which, left unmanaged, often cause system downtime. Traditional, largely manual approaches to encryption management have proven error prone and unscalable, exposing organizations to unnecessary risk such as unanticipated system outages and security gaps. Venafi products have been in production, managing encryption for more than five years in some of the world’s largest organizations. This provided Venafi the unique perspectives that drove the design and development of a system that allows organizations to streamline rigorous operational procedures, processes and security best practices.
“The majority of encryption and key management products currently available to organizations have been designed to manage a single vendor’s own encryption technologies, with little or no out-of-the-box integration with other encryption technologies,” said Paul Turner, VP of product and customer solutions, Venafi. “Our customers require an enterprise-wide encryption management platform that manages all existing and new encryption keys and certificates across a broad set of platforms, applications and key and certificate types today. That’s what drove the features and design of Venafi Encryption Director.”
Director is available in three product editions—Monitoring Edition, Enrollment Edition and Provisioning Edition. Each includes a scalable, enterprise discovery service module. Product highlights include:
- Enterprise Discovery. High-performance, network-based discovery of encryption technologies to inventory all keys and certificates deployed and in use..
- Continuous Monitoring. Director actively monitors and validates the state of encryption assets, for improved inventory, asset and risk management.
- Configurable Notifications and Alerts. Director automatically determines asset owners and escalation paths through enterprise directory connectors, and sends customizable messages with dynamically generated content.
- Policy Enforcement and Compliance Reporting. The policy framework in Director governs every aspect of an organization’s encryption environment. This ensures encryption systems operate as required by enforcing everything from key strengths to system configuration parameters and administrative access, and enables administrators and auditors to measure compliance.
- Workflow Management. Workflow management enables administrators to define required reviews and approval steps through one or more built-in lifecycle stages with customizable approval steps.
- One-Click Key/Certificate Swap. Using its patented technology, Director allows organizations to rapidly replace keys and certificates either at expiration or on click. This makes it easy to eradicate weak keys, compromised algorithms or undesirable vendors.
- Lights-Out Encryption Management. Full, end-to-end provisioning and lifecycle management of encryption keys and certificates—including all steps from key generation to installation and validation across multiple systems, rotation, backup/recovery and other critical functions.
Key benefits include:
- Reduced system downtime
- Improved data security
- Increased operational efficiency
- Regulatory compliance and audit readiness
- CA spend management and strategic sourcing
- Disaster recovery and business continuity
Additional information about Venafi Encryption Director is available at www.venafi.com/products/